By Maisha Liwaru
One of the many reasons the Amazon is so important is the Aniba Rosaeodora. It is a wild tropical evergreen tree from which rosewood is derived. Rosewood oil is also known as Bois de Rose. Rosewood is distilled from wood chips from the evergreen.
Rosewood is also used in furniture making, cabinet making, building and last but not least chopsticks.
Rosewood oil is a popular ingredient in perfume. Its’ sweet, spicy, floral, light wood scent makes a perfect warm middle note. The color varies from pale yellow to a brownish color. Rosewood blends best with citruses, woods and floral.
The synthetic “linalool” is sometimes used in place of Rosewood in perfume, which may be fine for cheap perfumes but a disaster in quality perfume. For aromatherapy use, essential Rosewood is essential.
Rosewood has become less available due to restrictions on its harvesting by the Brazilian government and more difficult licensing requirements for distillers/exporters. In addition, labor cost has risen. The price for rosewood has increased over the past few years and promises to continue to do so in the years to come. If Rosewood is priced out of the market by making it cost prohibitive for perfumers to use, it will cease to be available for use by aroma therapist. That is because perfumers have been the main users of Rosewood. So far, Rosewood is still available and producers are still willing to face government and licensing problems to meet the demands of the market.
Rosewood can be used in various forms of body care:
· Massages using your own homemade massage oil scented with rosewood oil or purchase rosewood scented massage oil from Perfume Oils by Maisha.
o Massage oil recipe: Equal parts - sweet almond Oil, safflower oil, emu oil and grapeseed oil.
· Sauna facials by placing rosewood oil in boiling water, covering your head with a towel and holding your face over the steaming water to penetrate skin.
· Facial mask of emu oil and yogurt, avocado, cornmeal or aloe vera with rosewood added.
· To nourish face add rosewood to emu oil, hazelnut, jojoba, and vitamin E
· To nourish hair add rosewood to jojoba oil.
· Eliminate body toxins with a body wrap. Spray a towel with rosewood that has been mixed in hot water (not boiling water). Wrap the towel around your body and cover with a blanket.
Next issue, look for lemongrass.
Maisha Liwaru is the owner of Perfume Oils by Maisha.